Are you a student wondering where to store your belongings over the summer? At Hogleaze Storage, we provide two secure locations in Weymouth and Dorchester where you can safely keep your belongings over the summer months. Student storage units are also ideal when spending a year out, allowing you to retrieve your belongings at the end of your travels. Reduce the hassle of shipping or transporting your belongings home with the support of student self-storage.
But how do you organise your belongings before using your student storage unit? This article will give you advice on preparing your belongings for storage.
Is There Anything That Cannot Go Into Student Self-Storage?
There are very few items that Hogleaze Storage cannot store for you:
- Illegal items – prohibited drugs, weapons, or self-defence sprays cannot be stored in your student storage unit.
- Foods and perishable items – foods and perishable items will deteriorate and may damage other items in your storage unit. We are unable to freeze or refrigerate perishable goods.
- Flammable items or items that emit fumes or odours – oil, paints, gases or fireworks should not be stored in student self-storage.
- Irreplaceable items – students should not store sentimental or financial items like currency, jewellery, art, or deeds.
What Items Can I Store In A Student Storage Unit?
Students can store anything not in the above list. Common storage items include:
- Furniture, electronics and appliances – any tables, shelves, desks, electronics, or kitchen appliances.
- Textbooks or equipment – any materials you don’t need over the summer can go into a Hogleaze student self-storage unit, be that a biology textbook or large sports equipment.
- Clothing – maximise your limited wardrobe space by organising clothes seasonally. Store the season you won’t be wearing with us, then swap them out accordingly!
How Should I Organise My Self-Storage Unit?
You can take a few steps to make your self-storage unit easier to navigate and unpack. Consider these simple steps to arrange your belongings.
List and mark up your items.
List everything you will put in your self-storage unit. Ensure everything is boxed up and marked correctly so you know what is in each box.
Store fragile items in secure boxes.
Pack up fragile items in bubble wrap and secure plastic boxes. Cardboard boxes are more susceptible to damage than plastic, so added strength can help to protect crockery or electronics from damage.
Clean before packing
Items like clothes or bedding will last longer if washed and cleaned before being packed away.
Heavy items go first.
Put your heavier items, like larger textbooks or electronics, at the bottom of each box. Lighter items go on top to avoid being damaged.
Most used items go last.
Put the items you use the most at the top of the pile or closest to the door of your student self-storage unit. This will make them easiest to grab or unpack.
Do you really need it?
Consider as you pack something up whether you really need it. Do you really need that Halloween outfit from the first year?
Take apart larger items.
Take apart larger items like bookshelves or desks to make them easier to transport. If it isn’t possible, our storage units can easily fit in all student furniture.
Pack heavier items by the door.
Heavier boxes or furniture may be more difficult to transport and are often the first items to go into a vehicle. Put them near the front of your storage unit for easier transportation.
How Can Hogleaze Storage Help With Your Student Storage Unit?
At Hogleaze Storage, we offer flexible, secure and cost-effective solutions for your belongings. We have units from 16 to 150 square feet on flexible short and long-term leases. From as little as £44 a month, you can safely store your items with us. Whether you’re coming back in a month or a year, we simply give you your storage key fob and allow you to drop off, and pick up, your belongings as you need.
Save yourself the stress and purchase our packing materials and boxes for your convenience, so you can simply pack and drop off your items. All of our units are secure, and CCTV monitored, so you can feel confident that your items are secure as you embark on your travels or trip home.