Summer is here (it took long enough to come around), and with the current travel restrictions that are in place, a staycation (a vacation in your own country) is the most plausible option. But fortunately for us Brits, the UK has so much to offer, and exploring it in the comfort of your motorhome is the best option in our eyes.
There is nothing better than pitching up at one of the stunning sites in Dorset, Devon, Somerset or Cornwall and enjoying a glass of Rosé wines or an ice cold cider underneath your awning whilst admiring the views… ahhh bliss!
If you’re looking for suggestions on where to stay or explore in Dorset, check out our article from last month here.
Benefits of a staycation
I know many of us are longing for an abroad holiday this year, but realistically, we are going to have to wait a little longer. But that’s ok, because any holiday is better than no holiday, right?
There are many benefits to staycation, we have listed some below:
- The cost: Abroad holidays are always pricey, so getting from A-B on your staycation makes for a more affordable trip.
- No passport needed: As you won’t be passing through any borders, you won’t require a passport, one less thing to worry about.
- Zero stress of it being cancelled: With travel restrictions changing all the time, you can’t be 100% sure what’s going to happen right now, so a staycation is stress-free.
- You can be as socially distanced as you would like: You’ll be in your own little bubble in your motorhome, so can easily stay away from other personal contact if you would like to.
The Hogleaze Storage guide to a motorhome staycation
So, you’re settled on a staycation and have the date in your diary. Now to do some planning… Here’s our step-by-step guide:
- Have a few campsites booked up – with the popularity of caravan and motorhome holidays rising, booking your pitches will save you a lot of stress during your holiday, if you want to be flexible, just book a few so at least you know you have something to head too.
- Check over your motorhome – a motorhome checklist is a good thing to have, and don’t leave it until the night before you’re due to head off either. You’ll want to have checked the following:
- Gas – have you got enough and is it secure?
- Doors – are they all locked up and prepared for set off?
- Fridge – is it well stocked and locked ready for driving?
- Tables – are the tables locked in place so they don’t move around during travel?
- Step – is the door step in the stowed position?
- Skylights – are all skylights and windows closed and secured?
- Loose items – have you checked to see if anything is on the worktops that could roll around or fall over?
- Tyres – Make sure they’re inflated to the right level & be prepared for a possible flat tyre
- Check narrow routes on Google Street View – if you have a particularly long or wide caravan/motorhome, you will want to avoid those pesky narrow lanes that will cause you additional stress, even the best driver in the world can work up a sweat navigating the country lanes of Dorset. Check the map to see if there is an alternative route you can take.
- Research the area you’re heading to – Check out if there are any nice events happening, where the good walking spots are, the best beaches or restaurants. If needed you can pre-book things to do.
- Check the facilities at the campsite – Do they have wash blocks, washing facilities, children’s activities? Also, make note of the check in and check out time so that you can leave enough time on the day of departure to pack up and hit the road.
Contact Hogleaze Storage for your motorhome storage in Dorset
Based near Dorchester just off the A35 in Dorset, we are perfectly placed to store your motorhome or caravan indoors or outdoors. So whether you are local to our storage site or come to Dorset for your summer holidays, storing with Hogleaze is a great option to keep your pride and joy safe and secure when you’re not using it.
We get pretty full, but if you give us a call we can let you know our current availability and see what we can do. We also have a waiting list if we can’t fit you in right now.