At this time of year, we all look forward to a long Christmas break to spend quality time with our friends and family. If you’re anything like us, you’ll want your home clutter-free before you introduce new presents and toys into the house, make space for relatives to stay, or host a party!
But once the celebrations are over, and you have to take down the Christmas decorations, you might be looking for an affordable storage solution to help get your home sorted… We’ve found that the New Year is a time for fresh starts, so our article not only gives you tips on how to prepare your home for the festive period but how to restore some normality once it’s all over.
Set a plan and get organised
The best way to get organised before or after the festive period is to start with making a list of the rooms and areas you need to tackle. Plan out when you are going to clear them and think about the logistics of what you’re going to do with all the ‘stuff’ once you’ve got it all out.
We recommend that you create three piles to divide your items into including, ‘bin’, ‘donate’ and ‘keep’:
- Bin – What will you do with everything that needs to be ‘binned’? You will need to consider whether you’ll need to hire a skip, skip bag or rubbish removal company if there’s too much for you to take to the tip yourself.
- Donate – If you’re creating a pile to be donated to charity, you’ll need to check when they’ll be open during the festive period so you can plan when you can drop the items off. You could even consider reselling your unwanted items on GumTree, Depop, eBay or other online stores to help you earn a little extra cash for the New Year.
- Keep – For the items in the ‘keep’ pile, decide on what you really need to keep in your house. If you find that there is lots you want to keep but you don’t need access to on a day-to-day basis, a self storage unit might be the perfect option for you.
Self storage solutions
If you’ve concluded that you really don’t need to keep everything in your home all the time, or simply need to create some temporary extra space, self storage could be an excellent way to keep your belongings safe but out of the way until you need them.
- Christmas decorations and lights
- Summer clothes / holiday suitcases
- Garden items including hot tubs, garden furniture, toys etc
- Boxes you don’t want to throw away
- Sports equipment including surfboards, windsurfing gear, paddleboards, bikes etc
- Camping equipment
- Excess furniture
We even provide boxes, packaging materials and tape etc to help you store your items safely and efficiently!
Benefits of our Dorset storage facilities
Our Dorchester – Hogleaze Storage and Weymouth – Hogleaze Storage offers you the option for flexible storage solutions, allowing you to book for short and long term, or even extend the length of your term to suit your needs.
We’ll be provided with a unit in a safe and secure facility with features such as number plate recognition, security cameras, alarms and regular staff inspections. Having access to your storage unit is important, so we have ensured this is easy to do with the likes of our key fob entry system and 24/7 access to our Dorchester site.
“I used Hogleaze Storage for many years and found the facility to be safe and secure. My belongings stayed dry; the ambient temperature seemed just right and there was no dampness. Wooden furniture; cardboard boxes and books all survived intact. The staff are also helpful and friendly. I recommend this facility.”
– Peter Lewis, Self Storage Dorchester
Book your unit today!
So there you have it – Your post-Christmas clear up couldn’t be easier with the help of a Dorset storage unit from Hogleaze Storage!
If you’d like a show round of our self storage units or would like to enquire about our availability over the festive period, please contact our friendly team on 01305 889777 for Dorchester storage or 01305 830000 for Weymouth storage.